Initially we wanted to understand how visitors to the site were using it, so we immersed ourselves into their world with some ongoing user tests.
These were carried on all types of people within the borough to ensure we had a 360-degree view of how it was being used.
Using this research and findings we built a prototype of the site and from the first few days of this being live we continued with our cycle of user testing, iterating the site, then user testing again. We did this to ensure that decisions we made were backed up with facts.
Collaboration didn’t stop at the sites users, we also ran client workshops and during design and development phases our team continued working closely to ensure requirements weren’t missed and input/feedback was sought.