This week, I finally got the iOS 13 upgrade, which was released officially last week. Here's a rundown of some of the key features iOS users will now get to enjoy.
Dark Mode option gives users a dark colour scheme for the whole device and any supported apps. It is great for low-light environments.
Performance and usability improvements
iOS just got quicker. The built-in face detection and the Apple applications such as Photos, Maps, Camera, Calendar, Contacts, Files, Homekit, Siri and Messages, all got performance improvements, and the usability of them got improved significantly. You can read a list of all the improvements here.
Privacy and Security
App location, Wi‑Fi and Bluetooth access/usage is now more transparent, and when an app is using any of these features more than it needs to, you'll get a notification about the app and ability to turn them off.
Last but not least, the key feature that all gamers were waiting for: Apple Arcade. It's a gaming platform with a monthly subscription and access to approximately 100 games. We've been playing with it here in the office, and while it shows a lot of promise, there are some improvements we'd like to see. Check out our list of pros and cons below.
Apple Arcade Pros
- Only £4.99 per month to access all the games (~100 of them!)
- With one subscription, you can play all the available games on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Mac.
- No adverts in any of the games
- Support for PlayStation 4 and Xbox Wireless Controllers with Bluetooth
Apple Arcade Cons
- Some fan-favourite games such as FIFA are not on Apple Arcade yet, and must still be bought on the App Store separately.
- Airplay isn't supported, so no streaming games to your TV.
- Not all the games are compatible with wireless controllers - and in our tests, we also found that when controllers get disconnected it struggles to reconnect afterwards.
iOS brings lots of minor improvements, but the main event is the Arcade. It's a promising start, but it remains to be seen whether this service can evolve and compete with similar services.