You’ll mostly be working on websites based on the Umbraco CMS, which means working in .NET / ASP.NET (mostly MVC). For the right candidate, we’re willing to provide on the job training to introduce you to our way of working, and other relevant areas of knowledge.
We don't obsess about skill sets and keywords. Who you are is more important, and how you think is the only true requirement. If desired, this role can include oversight over some of our other developers and could be the start of a path towards a leadership role. Either way, the job involves input on a broad range of projects across the company, with some pretty exciting clients.
We work in a fluid & lean way, so you'll need to be comfortable working iteratively with the rest of the team to deliver an excellent result without specifications or intensive project management. You'll be expected to take ownership of your work, manage your time, communicate in a dynamic team, and ultimately deliver quality code.
In return, you’ll have all the support you need. You’ll be working under a team lead who can manage and help you, and with other talented backend-focused colleagues. Working alongside best-in-class UX designers and frontend developers, you’ll get to deliver incredible websites, and make a real impact to our business, our relationships, and our output.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A real passion for backend development
- Previous experience managing or mentoring more junior developers
- A history with ASP.Net (Webforms and MVC), and preferably Umbraco
- Experience in an agency or working on multiple concurrent projects
- Working in an agile/lean team utilising Scrum methodology
- A strong appreciation of n-Tier architecture
- Some days and/or nights spent grappling with REST services (eg. WebAPI)
- Their three or four useful most git commands memorised or written on a Post It nearby
Who should also have experience of the following:
- .Net MVC and .Net Core
- REST services (i.e. Web API)
- n-Tier architecture
- ORMs (e.g. Entity Framework, nHibernate, ServiceStack, PetaPoco)
- React (or Angular or Vue)
- Source code management (SCM) (e.g. git or TFS)
- Working in an agile/lean team (e.g. Scrum)
- Working in an agency or on multiple concurrent projects
Nice to haves but not essential:
- Umbraco CMS
- Azure hosting and cloud services
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Continuous Integration
Roles and Responsibilities
Working in our Southampton-based team, you will assist our responsive and dynamic team in delivering exceptional digital products for our clients and be continually seeking new opportunities to improve upon how we build them.
Core responsibilities on a day-to-day basis:
- Development within a support and continuous improvement framework on existing client websites
- Backend development of new website builds within an Agile environment
- Take ownership and be responsible for delivering key work streams
- Take part in definition of work streams including research and development, workshops to define user stories, acceptance criteria, estimation, and specification
- Mentor junior developers and co-ordinate with other developers within the Pulse team
- Explain technology solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Act as a platform evangelist, sharing news and updates to the wider team
- Continuously measure and identify opportunities to improve methodology and process within the wider development team
- 23 - 28 days of holiday (based on your length of service)
- Plus, your birthday off (after first year of service)
- Contributory pension scheme (4-5% employer contribution depending on length of service)
- Finish at 3pm on Fridays
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Medical insurance
- Employee assistance programme (mental health, legal and tax advice, etc)
- Free breakfast on Fridays
- Regular free lunches and drinks to reward the successes of the team
- Your choice of job-related book added to the Etch Library each month
- Employee loans
- Eye care vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Sick pay package
- A fun and supportive working environment
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Where possible, we prefer to build the best team with the best people, which means those that show the initiative to approach us directly. We'd currently prefer to fill this position without recruiters, so if you are a recruiter, please don’t call about this role at the moment.
If you want to apply or find out more, drop Callum Donnelly a line.