Our product teams are deployed into businesses to build forward-thinking responsive websites and web apps. They do this by splitting their time between being the embedded team on-site and working back at the London or Southampton base with the wider Etch team (usually a 70/30 split).
The product team is driven to create the kind of business change that allows organisations to really flourish and engage with their customers, getting them further faster. As a result, each team member plays an exciting key role in building relationships and demonstrates a proven ability to work with partners first hand on-site. Joining Etch, you’ll have the opportunity to work with an amazing set of clients that partner with us on an interesting set of challenges that you will help to solve, whilst surrounded by a talented set of individuals from a studio that is host to top talent, an eclectic playlist, the occasional party, and Bonnie, the studio dog.
- You have been designing for at least 2 years and have the portfolio to prove it.
- A genuine enthusiasm for web design, and an awareness of mobile interaction design trends.
- You apply usability principles and always consider user needs.
- You value the emotional aspects of interaction design and create interaction flows that surprise and delight users.
- You’re never satisfied with the obvious, ‘good enough’, solution.
- Presentation skills: you can tell a clear and engaging story to justify your ideas.
- The ability to challenge and educate clients where needed
- You can analyse complex requirements and can translate them into a coherent product.
- You are comfortable mapping out complex interaction flows and defining the logic of how every element works.
- You create professional deliverables for clients and check through every detail.
- You appreciate the value of research but are comfortable working from assumptions and intuition where necessary.
- Flexibility and self-organisation: you appreciate the value of having time to experiment, but are happy to adapt your work style to a tight deadline where necessary.
- Familiarity with Sketch, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience in creating UI animations.
- Experience in iconography.
Roles and Responsibilities
Our Product Designers define the entire end-to-end experience of our creations: from researching user needs and conceiving the features to meet them, right through to defining the user journey and crafting the final look and feel of each screen. You will be creating products that genuinely enrich people’s lives and always aspiring to set the bar for engaging, surprising and forward-thinking design.
- Working with the Lead Strategist and Product team to understand client and user needs. This can involve desk research, stakeholder interviews, customer interviews, experience mapping and doing whatever else we can to put ourselves in users’ shoes.
- Working with the wider team to conceive innovative forward-thinking new customer journeys that balance customer and business needs, and embrace a holistic multi-channel conception of design.
- Validating your ideas using prototyping, user testing and zealous self-review.
- Meticulously translating complex requirements into coherent, detailed wireframes.
- Working with Designers, Developers and QA through all stages of product development to ensure user experience is never neglected.
- Presenting designs internally and to clients.
- Creating and evolving brands.
- Providing the development team with assets and style guides.
- 23 - 28 days of holiday (based on your length of service)
- Plus, your birthday off (after first year of service)
- Contributory pension scheme (4-5% employer contribution depending on length of service)
- Finish at 3pm on Fridays
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Medical insurance
- Employee assistance programme (mental health, legal and tax advice, etc)
- Free breakfast on Fridays
- Regular free lunches and drinks to reward the successes of the team
- Your choice of job-related book added to the Etch Library each month
- Employee loans
- Eye care vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Sick pay package
- A fun and supportive working environment
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Where possible, we prefer to build the best team with the best people, which means those that show the initiative to approach us directly. We'd currently prefer to fill this position without recruiters, so if you are a recruiter, please don’t call about this role at the moment.
If you want to apply or find out more, drop Jamie Heuze a line.