Head of Design / Design Director
We are looking for an exceptional Head of Design / Design Director to own the creative output across the Group as we enter the next phase of our growth.
- Salary £55,000 - £65,000
- Remote, regular visits to the Southampton and/or London team
We are looking for an exceptional Head of Design / Design Director who is able to quickly interpret business needs and client briefs and turn them into compelling creative solutions. Often working under tight deadlines while overseeing multiple projects, the Head of Design / Design Director must be a skilled manager of creative teams both internally and externally (including but not limited to: designers, copywriters, content strategists, and videographers). You must be an effective communicator, especially when it comes to relaying creative concepts to design teams and partner stakeholders. You will have worked in a product design business with an impressive portfolio of beautiful work that has demonstrated meaningful business impact and change.
This is a remote role with regular travel to one of our offices in Southampton or London required.
- Lead the end-to-end product design process
- Work with a cross disciplinary team of designers, developers and product managers to ensure delivery of high-quality products on time and on budget
- Communicate design specifications with other designers and developers; validate and monitor quality output
- Take responsibility for the creative vision and the standard of output across team members and external partners.
- Understand and where appropriate challenge business requirements to champion user needs in accordance with product and market strategy
- Distill abstract business concepts and client needs into elegant creative solutions that deliver exceptional business outcomes
- Present ideas confidently and share the creative vision clearly to partners and team members
- Clearly present various stages of interface design development, concepts and ideas to business owners, team members and stakeholders of all levels
- Ensure that all creative output/visuals are consistent with our partners’ brand
- Become the owner of the Etch brand, evolving and improving communications standards
- Lead multiple projects from conception to completion in accordance with deadlines
- Work with our Go To Market team to convert new business
- Influence our engineering teams to develop innovative technical solutions
- Maintain awareness and mitigation of project risk
- Contribute to a culture of innovation and excellence
- 7+ years experience creating interfaces, large scale websites and/or applications (ideally in a consultancy or agency)
- Restless curiosity for digital design industry
- Uncompromising quality standards
- Strong product design visual skills a must
- Strong UX / Experience design skills
- Strong commercial and business acumen
- Visualising and prototyping concepts to varying levels of fidelity to demonstrate and validate ideas
- Comfortable developing and contributing to design systems
- Up to date knowledge of design best practices and emerging technologies
- Experience leading multiple teams (internal and external) through the design process
- Excellent interpersonal skills to clearly and effectively communicate the creative vision, concepts, ideas, and solutions to stakeholders, internal teams, and clients.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting, including synthesising abstract ideas into concrete design implications.
- Extensive supervisory experience (including leadership, team-building, and delegation) leading and managing a creative team.
- Be excited about collaborating and communicating closely with teams and other stakeholders via a distributed model to regularly deliver design solutions for approval.
- Experience working with an Agile process
- Be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism.
- 23 - 28 days of holiday (based on your length of service)
- Plus, your birthday off (after first year of service)
- Contributory pension scheme (4-5% employer contribution depending on length of service)
- Finish at 3pm on Fridays
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Medical insurance
- Employee assistance programme (mental health, legal and tax advice, etc)
- Free breakfast on Fridays
- Regular free lunches and drinks to reward the successes of the team
- Your choice of job-related book added to the Etch Library each month
- Employee loans
- Eye care vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Sick pay package
- A fun and supportive working environment
The power of Etch is in our people. Our teams work seamlessly together, united by a set strong set of values that help to foster a healthy, collaborative, productive and incredibly effective thriving working culture. We’ll look for these in you.
We strive to discover and evolve ever better systems of working together. We aim to free ourselves and others from unnecessary constraints and adopt working patterns that help people, organisations and the planet prosper.
We do what's best for all, not just the individual. We are respectful and empathise with one another.
We show a willingness to fail forwards. We have the courage to show vulnerability. We are confident having the difficult conversations in order to get the right outcome for all.
We support change for the better, striving to help our partners go further faster and empowering our team members to reach their personal goals.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Where possible, we prefer to build the best team with the best people, which means those that show the initiative to approach us directly. We'd currently prefer to fill this position without recruiters, so if you are a recruiter, please don’t call about this role at the moment.
If you want to apply or find out more, drop us a line.